“The Power of Now”
Sharing some of the quotes I liked from this book.
My key takeaway / impressions
I want to feel like the following everyday;
- I live in pure present and free from ego and fear
- I listen in between the silence as I give awareness to my body
- I forgive myself and I accept
If I am talking to somebody whom I feel greatly comfortable with like my parents and my future bf and I sometimes get agitated. Hence, when I encounter those moments in the future, I would like to act as below;
- take 3 ~ 4 deep breathe
- witness the situation
- give awareness to my body
- accept any feeling I am feeling
- then, act
Quotes from “Power of Now”
- “The pain that you create now is always some form of nonacceptance, some form of unconscious resistance to what is. On the level of thought, the resistance is some form of judgement. On the emotional level, it is some form negativity. The intensity of the pain depends on the degree of resistance to the present moment, and this in turn depends on how strongly you are identified with your mind” (P27)
- “Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of non forgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.” (P50)
- “A great deal of what people say, think, or do is actually motivated by fear, which of course is always linked with having your focus on the future and being out of touch with the Now” (P55)
- “Whatever the substance you are addicted to – alcohol, food, legal or illegal drugs, or a person – you are using something or somebody to cover up your pain. That is why, after the initial euphoria has passed, there is so much unhappiness, so much pain in intimate relationships. They bring out the pain and unhappiness that is already in you” (P127)
- “So you as the ego cannot afford to be wrong. To be wrong is to die” (P36)
- “The most common ego identification have to do with possessions, the work you do, social status and recognition, knowledge and education, physical appearance, special abilities, relationships, personal and family history, belief systems, and often also political, nationalistic, racial, religious, and other collective identifications. None of these is you” (P37)
- “To the ego, the present moment hardly exists. Only past and future are considered important. This total reversal of the truth accounts for the fact that in the ego mode the mind is dysfunctional. it is always concerned with keeping the past alive, because without it – who are you?”
- “Nonforgiveness is often toward another person or yourself, but it may just as well be toward any situation or condition – past, present or future – that your mind refuses to accept.” (P100)
- “Forgiveness is to offer no resistance to life – to allow life to live through you” (P100)
- Being in present slows down the aging process and strengthens the immune system
- “See if you can give much more attention to the doing than to the result that you want to achieve through it. Give your fullest attention to whatever the moment presents” (P56)
- “Gratitude for the present moment and the fullness of life now is true prosperity” (P72)
- “To stay present in everyday life, it helps to be deeply rooted within yourself” (P78)
- “Body awareness keeps you present” (P78)
- “Silence is an even more potent carrier of presence, so when you read this or listen to me speak, be aware of the silence between and underneath the words. Be aware of the gaps. To listen to the silence, wherever you are, is an easy and direct way of becoming present” (P85)
- “Attention is the key to transformation – and full attention also implies acceptance.” (P99)
How to be in present P103
Before you go to sleep / first thing in the morning, ‘“flood” your body with consciousness’
- Lie flat on your back. Close your eyes.
- Focus your attention to your (hands, feet, arms, legs, abdomen, chest , head,) and feel the life energy inside your (hands, feet, arms, legs, abdomen, chest , head,) <15 sec each>
- Let your attention run through the body like a wave a few times, from feet to head and back < a min>
- Feel the inner body in its totality, as a single find of energy. <a min>
Conscious Breathing (P104)
Follow the breath with your attention as it moves in and out of your body
- Breathe into the body
- Feel your abdomen expanding with each inhalation
- Feel your abdomen contracting with each exhalation
- Close your eyes
- Witness yourself surrounded by luminous substance
- Breathe into that sea of consciousness
- Feel that luminous substance filling up your body and making it luminous also.
- Gradually focus more on the feeling.
- You are now in your body.
- “Surrender – the letting go of mental-emotional resistance to what is – also becomes a portal into the Unmanifested. The reason for this is simple: inner resistance cuts you off from other people, from yourself, from the world around you. (Inner resistance) strengthens the feeling of separateness on which the ego depends for its survival …”
- “Surrender is the simple but profound wisdom of yielding to rather than opposing the flow of life. The only place where you can experience the flow of life is the Now, so to surrender is to accept the present moment unconditionally and without reservation” (P170)
- “If you find your life situation unsatisfactory or even intolerable, it is only by surrendering first that you can break the unconscious resistance pattern that perpetuates that situation. (P173) … In the state of surrender, you see very clearly what needs to be done, and you take action, doing one thing at a time and focusing on one thing at time” (P174)
- “Full attention is full acceptance is surrender” (P185)
How to surrender in relationships
- “Start by observing how defensive you become as your own position is attacked” (P178)
- “Observe the attachment to your views and opinions. Feel the mental- emotional energy behind your need to be right and make other person wrong. That is the energy of the ego mind.” (p179)
- Make a choice to surrender…. “Do not resist the pain. Allow it to be there. Surrender to the grief, despair, fear, loneliness, or whatever form the suffering takes. Witness it without labeling it mentally. Embrace it” (P184)
- “Feel how surrendering transmutes suffering into deep peace” (P184)
Phrases I liked
- “become aware of the stillness” (P105) / “Feel the stillness deep in side” (p110)
- “Focus your attention within. Feel the energy of the emotion. If there is no emotion present, take your attention more deeply into the inner energy field of your body”
- “When listening to another person, don’t just listen with your mind, listen with your whole body.
- “Feel the energy field of your inner body as your listen. That takes attention away from thinking and creates a still space that enables you to truly listen without the mind interfering. You are giving the other person space – space to be. It is the most precious gift you can give.” (P105)
I hope some of these quotes helped you.
I hope some of these quotes perhaps made you want to explore the book yourself!
This is a book
I would actually like to have so I can go back again when the timing is right.